Friday, June 3, 2011

From Camper to Staff to Alumni

Its hard to begin to put my history with Shiloh in words. The place I would attend every summer for five years became more than just a getaway for me from boring summers at home. It became part of who  I am today.  It wasn't until I started going to camp that I really understood God’s love and His precious gift of life. I didn't understand what it meant to be a good loving person and to forgive just how Jesus forgives. I didn't understand what it meant to be humble towards people. I was a child growing up in Bridgeport, CT and all I knew was that I felt safe just keeping to myself. My first year I didn't say much. Even though I was away from home I felt safe with my counselors and support staff.  I was even comfortable camping out in the middle of the woods with just my sleeping bag and a pillow. After that first week of camp I knew that I couldn't wait for the whole year to pass just to spend another week at camp. As I grew every year I began to want to learn more and more about God and Jesus. I spent lots of time with Lucas, my counselor in 1998, reading the bible and asking many questions I was to afraid of asking the Nuns at my church ;). And Yes!! I did find $100 dollars at camp out night and my cabin and I had an amazing ice cream party. It was great to share with great friends in an amazing place. I was sad to find out at 15 that the next year I would be too old to go to camp, but that wouldn't end my Shiloh history.

My senior year in high school I came back to Shiloh as a CIT (Counselor in Training). Happy to be there, I was assigned to the Food Service support staff member Annalee and I did what I loved to do. I helped with set up, serving food to the staff and campers, and on off weekends I would cook. I went to college shortly after and majored in Food Service Management at Johnson & Wales University. After my first year of college, I was back at camp ready to serve and give back what I had learned through my time as a camper. I soon learned it definitely was harder than I thought it would be. Every session had heart aches from campers leaving because they could not get along or campers who were too home sick to stay. Even through tough times we managed to really stick together to show the campers what a great place Shiloh was. Through morning classes, playing ball, fun nightly games, and very interesting conversations, I felt inspired and motivated to come back the next year as a counselor. I was lucky to have such a great co-counselor two years in a row. My last year on staff I was fortunate to complete my internship as the food service support staff member. I had a different job but I was still able to continue to give back to the children and see familiar faces. It really is a special feeling to see campers return year after year, remember you, and tell you how much it means to them that you are there. It shows how much this place really means to campers as well as counselors.

As an alumni, every year that passes I think of how awesome my time at camp was. It helped when I was younger and made me realize how blessed I am that I was able to meet such inspiring people who commit their time to spend their summers helping plant seeds in our hearts. I think it’s safe to say as a staff member the kids plant seeds in our heart as well. We can take what we learn and really see how blessed we are. Thank you to all alumni past, present and future for committing your time to do this special work. It really does make a difference. I can say that with confidence because I was in both roles and I am very proud to say I am the first college graduate in my family. I owe all of this to Camp Shiloh for giving me hope and strength, and teaching me that I can do all things through Christ because He gives me the strength.

Jason





 
Jason was a camper from 1997 until 2000.  In the summer of 2003, Jason became a CIT and the year after became a cabin counselor until 2006 when he took on the role of Nutrition Director as a support staff member.  He graduated in 2007 with a bachelor’s in Food Service Management.  Jason has worked at Houlihan’s and Blue Chip Restaurant and Bar as a floor manager and is currently working as a Manager for a full service butcher shop in Newtown, CT called The Meat House.  He is currently living in Bridgeport, CT.  Jason would like to say to the Shiloh family how proud he is to have been a part of such a great cause.  “Shiloh is truly an amazing place but that wouldn’t be possible without all the amazing people who have and will come through that amazing camp ground.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment